Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ante-natal class

Went for our first ante-natal class today, and it was a very good experience. I'd say it worth the money we paid for :P

4 sessions with 3 hours each, every Saturday from today onwards, we are going to learn a lot of pregnancy related knowledge, from preparation of parenthood, breast feeding, ante-natal exercise, delivery process to taking care of new born. What I like the most of today class is, our instructor threw us a lot of questions that we, as a couple, need to think about, before the baby is born.

An example is about the change of life. There will be lots of changes, either lifestyle, couple relationships or financial, that as couple, we do really need to sit down and discuss about it, and decide what would be best for both of us and the family. One question she asked was, do we want to put the baby as the center of our universe, or just part of our universe. Time management is very important for new parents especially. Sometimes couple might forgot about themselves or the spouse as they pay more attention to the baby, and it's actually not good to the couple relationship. I agree with this too. To me, even after having baby, I still want to have some time to myself or just me and him. One couple in the class said they have already planed for a trip together after the baby is born! I guess it's time for me and Victor to think more about this and plan for our future family lifestyle. After the baby is born, does it mean we cannot go travel, or cannot pak-tor just 2 of us anymore... ?

Another important thing that the instructor brought up is about role modeling, and that's the most important 'teaching' that we can do for our baby. I always want my kids to read more, then playing video games or watching too much TV during the early stage, but to achieve this, I guess we need to give a good example for the baby too, that's a lifestyle change from our side as well... =P

Most of the things taught in the class were kind of common sense, but sometimes we just don't really have detail thought about it, and without proper planning and thinking, time might just pass through and we might not do the right thing at right time, and by the time we realize, things might not go well the way we want it to be...

Moving into the new stage of my life, there are lots of things to prepare and to adapt with. I'm no longer the young and innocent girl who can do whatever I like. Sometimes when I'm alone, I can read a book overnight or watching TVB series until 4am. Now, I'm not just 'myself' anymore, I'm a wife, and going to be a mother soon. Am I ready for it....?

No comments: